Thursday, November 10, 2022

Thrifty Thursday-Not Overly Tempted Edition

     


     I knew with two meals out likely and buying snackies and such for the girls weekend, it was not going to be a thrifty weekend, but it was worth what I spent. I wasn't overly tempted in the shops but bought this cute tea towel for Christmas. My sister got one in cats. I also found some things that grandpup can tear apart that are a lot less than dog toy's. This was at a thrift store where many of us found goodies. 

I wasn't thinking about money much the past weekend but as is generally my norm, I don't spend as entertainment. Even with seven of us and multiple stops in little towns with quaint and quirky stores, we probably shopped less than four hours. Here's sort of my week in thrift. These are in no order than what popped into my head.

  • No cost accomodations for sister's weekend. 
  • Froze an unopened container of donut balls. DH made short work of the leftover mini muffins. 
  • I had a horrible cough yesterday so bowed out of trivia in person, but joined on line. Totally free evening. I did not look up answers in case you were wondering. The cough continues this morning.
  • I made a nice dinner with 99¢ bacon wrapped pork loin filets. They were so good. The potatoes were also bargain priced Aldi au gratin with bacon. 
  • Used coupon for two mini 6 inch cheese cake samplers to bring for Thanksgiving. At $3.99 each, I couldn't pass up.
  • Walked out of a very cute store, from the front at least, empty handed. The back had propaganda items that totally defy my sensibilities. I can make a point with my money and not support a business that promotes lies and threats. 
     I should add, my sister treated everyone to breakfast. She had time to kill between travel earlier in the week and won...$10,000 on slots! I did not win the Powerball, but her news was pretty exciting. I'm now planning what to make the next week to use up little lingering things in the fridge and freezer. DD1 will be here a sizeable part of the weekend so a vegan chili sounds good with rice on the side. I appreciated all the ideas yesterday for using basmati rice. How did you not get tempted this week? Are you finding a few bargains to tuck away for the holidays? Anything thrifty for yourself or others?


16 comments:

  1. I removed the black loafers from my Amazon cart that had essentials in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll find what you're looking at at a better price.

      Delete
  2. Wow, what an exciting slot win! To your other point, I find it pretty nuts that people include items like that in their shop. What a way to alienate some sizable portion of your target audience? Why would that seem like a good idea?

    You had some nice frugal wins for the week - well done!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was really dumb. The front half was cute clothes, collectibles, greeting cards, holiday items, and in this back room there's wall hangings with a gun pointing at you, with the phrase "In this house we don't call 911." Sickening.

      Delete
  3. I’ve found some good food deals lately. Walmart had a bunch of stuff on clearance for whatever reason and Giant Eagle has had fantastic meat deals. Aldi has rolled back their holiday dinner essentials prices so I’ll be stopping in for butter $2.39/lb (limit 6 and I’ll be getting 6!) and canned veg for .49. Otherwise I haven’t spent much this week and don’t plan on a whole lot next week either. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With this wretched cough, I am avoiding the public so no shopping but I'm disappointed I might miss Aldi deals.

      Delete
  4. How exciting about your sister's win! I'm so pleased for her.
    Not really thrifty as I didn't need it but I've just won a dress on eBay I've been stalking for four years for a quarter of the retail price. Like I need any more clothes! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was pretty surprised and in disbelief. She's not a huge gambler- this was a time kill for a little fun. If the dress was calling to you, then a good buy.

      Delete
  5. Wow, that must have caused a stir. Winning that much money! Good for you walking out of a store that has false doctrine so to speak. You are my kind of person SAM. Sorry about the cough. I hate having a cough as I well .... change clothes a lot:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She had a good week to be sure. Her husband is looking to retire soon and they've contemplated relocating. This won't hurt their plans. The store own must have some wires crossed.

      Delete
  6. How exciting for your sister! I have not been in a store this week, so nothing bought except for what I have Tommy buy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here since Saturday. DH bought bread and his OTC meds.

      Delete
  7. Wow how lucky for your sister!!!
    In regard to the store with its propaganda, my son has rehab physiotherapy with a person who has some very extreme views on the world and feels free to share them with all and sundry. I’m lucky my son has the sense to just laugh it off, and you, IMHO did the right thing by walking out with your money, but sometimes it’s difficult to be tolerant of others.
    Both thrift and tolerance have been absent from my house this week. Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think I could laugh it off in your son's situation. I wouldn't feel comfortable having that person near me! I hear you in tolerance. My patience isn't great with work folks.

      Delete
  8. Wow, what a wonderful win for your sister! Nice to get some good news isn't it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She works really hard and rarely plays on work trips so good for her!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.