Sunday, December 4, 2022

Meals to Keep us Going

     

     
     Not an exciting week of meals, but adequate. I'm trying to limit junk and waste, but sometimes both happen.

  • Sunday: Chili dogs after finding frozen Chili, and a few extra hotdogs 
  • Monday: Last of a few weekend leftovers 
  • Tuesday: Bean soup, grilled turkey and cheese sandwich 
  • Wednesday: Chicken cutlets and a successful sort of Alfredo sauce with spinach with elbow macaroni 
  • Thursday: Tacos with rice 
  • Friday: DH wasn't feeling well so only wanted tea. Later he ate a couple tortillas with cheese. 
  • Saturday: DH and I both had large lunches. He had a few slices of frozen pizza. Later I ate a snack with a diet coke before crashing really early watching a movie. I ended up putting myself to bed before 9.
     As nothing has really gone to plan, I'll stick with just making a list of possible meals. We need a few things but I've still not done a real grocery shop, just odds and ends from Kwik Trip or fast stop at local store. I soaked pinto beans and found a couple recipes I might try with them and potatoes. I have leftovers from my mom's day out yesterday too to use up. In no particular order, ideas are:

  • Chicken tortilla soup
  • Meatballs and au gratin potatoes 
  • Breaded stuffed chicken and sweet potato wedges 
  • Sausage gravy, biscuits, and American potatoes 
  • Chicken, cheese, broccoli and rice hotdish 
  • Tuna noodle hotdish with peas
  • Pattie melts and rice pilaf  
     I have a lot of chicken in the freezer as you might have guessed. Potatoes are abundant too. Regardless of preference, time, ambition, plus food quantity means leftover night at least once. Lunches will be any leftovers from leftover nights, good old pbj sandwiches, or just yogurt, fruit, and toast. I have to go to the office tomorrow so like will eat a pbj on way home, so I can get dogs outside, and then back to work for the afternoon. Clearly no ideas to inspire but I m giving myself permission to dial it in this week. What's your plan if you have one? 


20 comments:

  1. I love having meals in the freezer this time of year for fast and easy dinners. This week a lot of Brunswick stew and beef and bean chili was added to ours. The extra pan of stuffed shells that I put together a couple of weeks ago was pulled out and enjoyed for dinner and a lunch. Enjoy your Sunday Sam!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your stew sounded really good when I read your post. I e got a few things tucked away.

      Delete
  2. My plan is to freeze the taco soup, eat the rice and chicken, freeze rest of chicken when Tommy picks meat from the bone, bake about 3 pounds of bscb. Food still tastes bad from the antibiotic, so when will Thanksgiving happen? Maybe it will be for Christmas. I will bake pumpkin, pecan, and mincemeat pies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When food is not enjoyed, it's hard to put a lot of effort. You'll get your turkey dinner eventually.

      Delete
  3. M made delicious spaghetti & meatballs last night, and made me a pomegranate martini, when I came home from an incredibly cold & wet soccer game with Nick. He's a keeper!

    I'm making tacos tonight, and tomorrow will make an enchilada rice skillet dish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made shrimp and rice for middle son. Since he won’t eat leftovers (autistic and has food issues) I brought the leftovers home with me. Made spinach dip from spinach he claimed was too old (it is fine and expensive organic spinach) and coleslaw from shredded cabbage for me to snack on this week. Busy upcoming week so glad to have something different. Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How does he know they are leftover if you just plate
      Them up as if just made?

      Delete
    2. I think most people know when something is reheated and not round one of a meal. Having a son on the spectrum as well, I understand the different ways minds work.

      Delete
    3. Yes, you are right Sam. He is also very ocd and keeps up with what is in the fridge. He has seen same package in the fridge and told me what date I bought the spinach. He will notice if a container is moved in the toiletries closet also. Cindy in the South

      Delete
  5. Likely will pick up a hamburger on the way home after visiting my dad. There's leftover goulash but I will save that for tomorrow and have with a Caesar salad. Sloppy Joes with baked beans on Tuesday, Chicken Kiev (Aldi) with stir fried broccoli w/garlic on Wednesday, Leftover Sloppy Joes with salad on Thursday and Friday is probably lunch out for hubby's birthday. Not the best menu but it will do. We were down to no fresh lettuce, veg or fruit, no yogurt or orange juice and on our last eggs before getting to Aldi for shopping yesterday. Only one item not available and forgot one item, so I consider that a success. Ranee (still have broth from turkey and bits in the freezer, so will probably make soup next weekend. We don't do much for Christmas - no big fancy meal, so not much to prepare for there)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't made sloppy joes in ages, but they sound really good. If I'm ambitious and have people over when daughter gets home and son visits, that's a good plan.

      Delete
  6. at least the pooch is protected from aliens or whatever aluminum keeps at bay.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's safe and secure. Not my dog, but I'll have to see about protecting ours too.

      Delete
  7. I wish I had a lot of chicken in the freezer. It has been way above my stock up price here lately.
    I am about through with the leftovers having frozen the last bits and pieces for a night when either TheHub is at a dinner meeting or nights when we will both have something different to eat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've a few things going on this week, so the freezer will come in handy. My husband doesn't like to eat out at night more than once a week, but he grabs something almost daily for lunch.

      Delete
  8. Bangers and mash with salad and kraut tonight, prepped a crock dump in the morning of a chicken chili soup concoction. It’ll be quesadillas later in the week as well, plus lunches. Made a big basic salad today that should last 3 days. Baked potato bar (crock) and frozen pizza. Plenty of fruit and frozen veg to supplement. Bought knock off fritos to make the chili more fun through the week. I keep a list of possible meals, as you do. If I have a hard day or just don’t feel like what was planned, I’ll swap it out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Some weeks, menu planning works but not when I have too much unknown at work. I like corn chips with chili too.

      Delete
  9. My chicken supply has dwindled but I hope to find a sale or markdown soon. I made a chicken and dressing casserole for Sunday dinner. We had vegetable plates the night before that as I’m trying to eat healthier before the holiday foods begin later this month. I need to soak some beans here too, I’ve been putting it off for a couple of days now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did get back to buy more so hoping I find a few protein options on special. We like carbs, me too much, but having variety of proteins makes meal prep easier.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.