Saturday, July 29, 2023

Hmm, Anything to Talk About?

      I appreciate comments as it helps me think I'm having conversations with people other than myself. When alone, I talk to myself, and when frustrated about something, to DH. This week was, let me find the word, stuporous. I just felt like I was going through the motions all week and in a fog. I suppose it had to do with the hot temps to a point and the lack of any enthusiasm towards my job right now. Getting outside for walks were needed for dogs and humans, but they weren't enjoyable. No dangerous heat conditions for me as we have full functioning central air, so I'll quit complaining. I am heart broken reading about weather related tragedies, and know I am extremely fortunate with my living situation. Still, look at this picture of the Minneapolis skyline from my office on Tuesday. The air quality was horrible and it was hazy. This was mid afternoon and not a rainy kind of day.

     Meals is always a good subject to share in blogs. I don't have recipe links as all was just winging it. Here's a few from the past week.

  • Saturday- Crockpot cheese ravioli with zucchini and mushrooms
  • Sunday- Just me for supper so had toast with cucumber and hummus, fruit and yogurt, but earlier made breakfast of fruit, scrambled eggs and homemade muffins, plus we both nibbled on leftovers for lunch
  • Monday- Tuna hotdish 
  • Tuesday- Chickpea and vegetable masala 
  • Wednesday-Homemade chicken taquitos/floutus with rice and refried beans
  • Thursday- Spaghetti with a tomato, mushrooms, and zucchini sauce
  • Friday- Leftovers, and will probably be through the weekend. My older daughter is helping with things, but not much of my leftover's fit her vegan diet. 
     Lunches were leftovers, egg salad, veggies and hummus, fruit, rice and veggies ( DD2 just loves rice so makes a pot to have over a few days).  The batch of raspberry muffins were eaten for snacks and meals too. Several went into the freezer. I'm trying to eat down the pantry and refrigerator and have a clean start in August. I've picked up a few good buys for the freezer though, two 12 oz packages of bacon, and a couple one pound packages of  ground beef. It stretches very far with just DD2 and I. I'm out of milk, bread, and bananas, so probably will just stop at Kwik Trip.

     Book club was Monday night. Lessons in Chemistry was our selection and I found it a good read and was fodder for good conversation. Next up is The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. The copy I read of Chemistry was my daughter's, bought in a bookstore in Oxford, so she wanted me to take special care of it. Books are her thing. There's a branch of the St Paul library within a short walking distance of her new apartment. 

     I like the neighborhood she'll be living in. It's very easy access to connecting highways and freeways, yet very walkable to parks , restaurants, and coffee shops. Likely she'll need to drive for groceries, but in a pinch there's a C store near her. Bonus, it's on my route to work and I have a friend and a friendly retired former coworker very close to her (blocks) as well should an emergency happen. Actually, I have lots of St Paul people connections that wouldn't hesitate to intervene if needed. 

     I got more purged from laundry room and need to get a few things dropped off for donation. Much was trashed in the regular garbage pick up. I need it cleaned out, a shelf moved, so I can order and get a new washing machine. Mine is too far gone so expensive to get fixed, though will be repurposed if anything is salvageable. I used my daughter's house as a laundromat twice. I think we're good for at least another week but I'll need to use her house again or pay the machine costs in town as it's going to be a while before I'm ready for more chaos in the house. At my daughter's house is a cute laundry room set up. It's in a hallway pass between her kitchen and dining room, across from her lower bathroom. My dryer seems fine, but I'm contemplating replacing both. That really would be wasteful though. 

     I avoided a lot of popular culture stuff. I didn't partake much in our towns annual festival, with the exception of a quick walk through the craft fair and then stopping to hear the marching band concert. No Barbie viewing for me either. I moved a lot of the wood pile, continuing to invite others to help themselves. The log holder came, but I will request my daughter's help assembling. I got some weed pulling, lopping, and whacking done after 8:00 when it cooled down a bit. I moved grandpups kennel to better access the garage now that we can use it for bikes and the car. Oh, and scheduled haul away of the old refrigerator. The tanning bed disposal will be a while from now project as the bulbs need to come out to be disposed of separately. The fee was atrocious too, so it might stay tucked on the side of the garage for a while. Why is it here????

     My kind neighbor, the first one that tackled the wood pile, finished my last two pines, plus trimmed the maple. He's hauling stuff for me today. A gift card to treat him and his wife hardly seems enough, but I'll make sure I have his Blue Moon on hand too. The patio project starts next week. Picture to show the current chaos back there. Once all the debris is hauled off and the patio poured, I can tackle the remnants of sticks and pine needles get some grass seed down. I need to research what to do to neutralize the acidity under the pine trees, but minimally I'll need to get a bit of top soil down. 

     I can really blather on about nothing. If you're still reading, thank you for stopping by. Maybe next week will be something of substance. Have a good week. 
     

     

43 comments:

  1. We have had pine trees in our side yard and you’re right, the acid in the soil needs neutralizing. That is very kind of your neighbor to help with the wood pile and hauling. Your daughter’s neighborhood sounds lovely with easy access to walking. Is she your vegan daughter or no? Your menu sounds good to me. I need to make some hummus for this week. I like to use it to make veggie sandwiches too. I hope you have a good weekend, Sam. 😊

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'll end up putting mulch and hopefully some hostas under the pines if I can get some from people thinning.

      Delete
  2. I figure if you have piles of chaos that means you are doing something. That is good. Hope you have a better week. The weather and humidity can sure get us down - just to hot and nasty to have any oomph! Take good care

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too much chaos. I have good intentions and no oomph.

      Delete
  3. FYI: Friends found a grass that was suited to acidic soil at their property. Sam, I'm sorry for your troubles. You seem to be moving forward in this new chapter of your life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Saturday Sam! It sounds like you are getting a lot done which always feels good. We've had a number of days with very poor air quality as well. Then the hospital that I work at decided to re asphalt all of the parking lots over the week and the smell just took your breath away just walking into work. Take care and enjoy the weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We've had too many poor air quality days.

      Delete
  5. you could blather about anything and we are interested.

    ReplyDelete
  6. If periwinkle (vinca minor) will survive in your climate, we transplanted same in Seattle under an enormous redwood tree and after a few years no weeding was necessary. It spreads well. It just looked good and was maintenance free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I looked it up and it's an invasive species here- have some that grew wild.

      Delete
  7. I read "Lessons in Chemistry," and, yes, it was a good read. I found, though, that as much as I liked the story, the anachronisms annoying. Unless you had read when it was set, you would not know it was set in the late 1950's. Even some of the dialogue is too current.
    For fun, I am re-reading "A Tree Grows in Brooklyn." I first read it in fourth grade, and have read it many times since then over the years, each time discovering a new concept.
    When I was your DD's age, I read all the time. Somehow, I feel I lost my way. Being the version of me who sits down to read for pleasure is like visiting an old friend, and I've missed her.
    As for under the pine trees, some things common in New England were Vinca major, (periwinkle), Forget me Nots, mint or ivy. Here in the PNW, Salal and St. John's Wort is common under pines, but I don't think that would work in your zone.
    So great to hear from you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to be careful not to plant what might be invasive. I look forward to another book club meeting.

      Delete
  8. So good to read your post; it is like chatting with a friend. I'm so glad that you have good neighbors, and it is so nice they are helping with the trees and wood. There are some good people in this world. Your patio will be a lovely space to relax when it is cooler. Your meals sound good. I think I will make some fajitas tonight although I could make a meal out of chips and salsa. Hope you have a relaxing weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, SAM you and I have feelings that are so similar. However, you are certainly eating better than I. I am so happy you have the kids close as that helps. Plus, good neighbors are a real blessing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just wish I could sleep. Eating junk is not great.

      Delete
  10. Blathering? Oh, no. How about "sharing your thoughts, sharing your life" instead? Yeah, I like that better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Too many thoughts I think but thank you.

      Delete
  11. Dear Sam; Sissy Here replace both the wash machine and dryer as a set the new ones although expensive are so much more energy efficient and you deserve it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're woefully expensive. I just don't know if I can swing both.

      Delete
  12. You should replace both the washer and dryer. That way the size matches. Plus any time I don't replace them at the same time. The other appliance dies at a terrible time (right before Christmas, during a blizzard.)
    I also have an affinity for books. I have less now then I did when I was younger but I love the ones I have. I am involved in a small book club, but am thinking about meeting with one from my local library.
    You are going to love your "new" backyard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't care if they match. It's an added budget item I don't need. I'll consider it though.

      Delete
  13. Really enjoy your posts- you have a gift for writing. Your slow cooker ravioli gave me a brand new idea for using up our upcoming zucchini crop. Inspiring to see you putting one foot in front of the other and making your life work as best you can.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Sam,
    I am excited for your patio! That will be a very good place to land and relax and do whatever you do. Read? As for the pine tree, it needs the soil it has to thrive. Vinca sounds the best. It is so pretty. However, I like to have the pine needles, so soft underneath the tree. No weeds will grow through it if you just let it lie. You could still contain it and put the vinca around the needles. Not raking pine needles would keep one chore off the list. Just don't mow them.
    The first time I bought appliances during my first year of marriage, we bought what was on sale. They did not match, and I did not care. When I replaced the washer and chose what I wanted, the salesman pointed to the dryer, saying, "And this is the dryer that matches. I am sure you will want that, too." I pointed out the dryer worked and no, i was not buying a dryer. He clutched his pearls and gasped, "But, what will people think when your washer and dryer don't match?" I told him if was disturbing, people should stay out of my laundry room. I have never had a washer and dryer to match and don't care.
    I never think of your posts as 'blathering.'

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinca appears to be invasive here. I don't care about matching laundry room appliances either.

      Delete
  15. I always enjoy a chat with you, Sam! Thursday was the highlight of my week. Brunch at First Watch (bogo entree coupon used) and then the local Night Market. We bought gorgeous fresh flowers, some mermaid glass jewelry, and Chambersburg peaches among other things. Mostly food ;) This evening, we watched fireworks from the next town over on my back porch. The view was slightly obstructed but better than dealing with the traffic. I plan to see the Barbie movie Tuesday at the drive in. Our fridge is on the verge of extinction and makes a terrible racket. Each day we get out of it is a bonus. I hate my washer. Too many bells, whistles and sensors. No matter how carefully I put the clothes in, it says it’s unbalanced and won’t spin dry. But if I haphazardly toss it all in, it seems to work better. And I can never do a small load, it always says it’s unbalanced. I would love to go full rage-room on the thing someday. JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love brunch out. That and Happy hour. That's why I'm looking forward to my patio. Regular happy hours.

      Delete
  16. I really enjoyed the Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo. Thought the story had a nice twist and I did end up in tears before finishing the book.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hi Sam, You are getting things done on your own schedule, steady as you go. No need to rush, just keep going and things will get done. I replaced my washer when it definitely needed to be replaced and replaced my dryer at the same time as it too had gone through a fix or two. I think it's best to replace both at the same time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel I'm at everyone's schedule. I'm running in empty.

      Delete
  18. It is so hot that I am eating salads and sandwiches. I have boiled eggs and made exactly one squash casserole in the past couple of weeks. Watermelon has been my friend and choice of a cool, refreshing dessert. My house is a disaster bc of all the hours at work. Well,
    It is always a disaster, but so so so much worse than normal, if that is even possible.
    Cindy in the South

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll likely just have picky meals while my daughter is gone. I suspect hummus and cucumber sandwiches will be a staple

      Delete
  19. Your meals sound really good. I don't feel like doing any cooking these hot days. When my washer died three years ago, I replaced it but not the dryer as it was working fine. Still is. They don't match, but it's just me and the cat here and neither of us care!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't see wasting the money if dryer is working. They're so expensive.

      Delete
  20. I'm glad you like the area where your daughter lives and that you are able to use her laundry room. That is so handy. Me, I wouldn't get rid of any appliance unless it's broken. Nobody cares if they match as long as you dont. That pollution looks bad, it would bug me. I hope it's cooler soon for everyone's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I enjoyed reading this, Sam. If it's what you consider blathering then I like it!
    When you scrap the old washing machine try and rescue the drum, they make brilliant fire pits. Our tumble drier is 45 years old, I use it once in a blue moon but we're having the wettest summer since records begun and my washing is hanging around the house for days so I've been forced to switch it on this morning and use it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a great life cycle for an appliance. I think I he drum will get hauled away with the rest of the washer.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.