Tuesday, December 23, 2014

Surplus Baking... What a Problem




If you have been reading, you'll know I have been under weather, and have gotten off track with my Christmas preparations, mainly the baking and treat making.  Now that I am perking up and with working from home, I find I am able to work an hour or so, take a brief rest, whip up a quick batch of something, get back to work, and repeat the cycle.  My baking is slowly getting on pace with previous years.  However, with being semi homebound, it has meant I have forgone many of the usual festivities and treat sharing  opportunities.  I fear I am I danger of a post holiday bounty!  I just took a dozen cupcakes out of the oven, along with a cute little Christmas tree shaped cake.  I split the batter from a standard cake mix between the two projects.  Last night I got peanut blossoms and snicker doodles baked.  I did cheat and used mixes-at 2 for $3.00, I could hardly do better from scratch.  DD#2 and I will at least get the traditional Oreo truffles made, plus I'll do the Mars bars as they were such a hit, and so easy.  I also have rosettes I made at the beginning of the month and tucked away in the freezer. Items will go to both family Christmas's, but so will everyone else's bakery's, and let's face it, a person really can eat only so much.

 Here is my plan to use the surplus.  As these items are home made they can't be donated for charitable use. The less holiday specific stuff I'll freeze to use later in the winter. I'll encourage my nieces and nephews that are less inclined to make treats to bring home a goodie box-I picked up some treat packaging at the dollar store for this. I'll bring a treat container along to DD's basketball scrimmage on the 29th. I have three neighbors with households full of boys, home now for the break from high school, middle school, and college. A post Christmas cookie plate will make it's way to each of them.

I'll bring a tray in the day after Christmas for those that didn't take a vacation day and are holding down the office.  Many of these staff do not celebrate Christmas so would rather save their time for other times in the year.  I've found though the sharing of food and treats is multi-cultural and appreciated. One of my favorite work anecdotes occurred about 10 years ago when HR decided we needed to move away from a December all staff potluck as it aligned too close with the expectation of celebrating the Christmas holiday, and she worried we were at risk of not being inclusive.  I have the most diverse staff in the organization due to the nature of our community work.  One of my staff, a woman of Islamic faith, upon hearing the change in staff activity lamented, "Does that mean we won't get to have Christmas cookies?" 

I've not had this problem before, and one might just say "stop baking!"  This is one of the activities that gives me joy in the making, the arranging on a pretty tray of plate, and giving to and sharing with people in my life I care about. I think my plan will take care of this problem, but what a problem to have. Have fun with your week however you choose to spend it.
Bought the cute mold for 75% of after Christmas last year. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.