Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Pantry Menu

My June challenge for household and groceries is completely on the wayside.. Odds and ends on Saturday for $17, and more on Sunday for $41, and a stop on route to work puts me at $438. Granted, this month I was doing extra baking for friends and the shop yesterday included ingredients for a massive gluten free pasta and vegetable salad and greens for a work colleagues surprise bridal shower luncheon before her wedding on Saturday. While I didn't meet my austere self imposed $350 budget, I wasn't excessive either, though we ate out more often than typical. To counter this, and hopefully get to the weekend without buying anything, I'll eat down the stores, which are getting sort of lean despite all these odds and ends.
  • Sunday-We ate a huge chicken breast, cut down into bite size pieces then cooked in a mushroom gravy with mashed potatoes and boxed stuffing. I had four very soft potatoes that needed to be cooked.
  • Monday-DH had made himself a frozen pizza on Sunday and I had made DD2 some fried rice. Supper was leftovers from both, plus leftover food from the work shower. The salad stuff will be my lunch this week as well. DD2 is eating cereal, fruit, yogurt, and sandwiches for lunch all week, plus any leftovers we might have.
  • Tuesday (tonight)-I'll make spaghetti and tomato sauce, with a couple turkey hamburger patties for a little protein.
  • Wednesday-Tuna hotdish and green beans.
  • Thursday-Turkey burgers, herb riced pilaf and corn
  • Friday-Black bean, corn, ad tomato salad with turkey taco meet and tortillas
  • Saturday-Grad party for dinner
This might be the plan.  I might wing it and figure out something else, but I have ideas down at least so not going to let myself stop by the deli counter or fast food. July I'll plan better. June just ended up being an odd month. 

8 comments:

  1. If prices are reasonable and stable, I don't feel the need to closely stick to budget. But they are on the rise now, and that's quite worrying.

    In my country, basic products are under price supervision by the government. But what exactly is basic? Bread, for instance, regular bread (I buy the light bread only, 36 cal. per slice), regular eggs (I buy the organic sort), regular dairy 3-5% fat (I buy the 1% fat yoghourt, milk,cottage cheese), white sugar (I don't buy that at all, but use substitutes) and so on. Existant price supervision is of no help to me.

    Luckily, so far, my main protein source, polluck frozen fish (that McDonalds sell in their eateries) is reasonably priced, but.. not always available. I buy grilled lean chicken and turkey parts at closing time of the supermarket, with 50% discount. That's a real good buy, but, again, not always available.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When the staples start getting expensive, then it is hard to economize.

      Delete
  2. If you put the "special foods for special occasions" under a different heading on your budget I bet you would be close to balancing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about that, but then I'd have had to go through receipts rather than just the total, plus we had meals at the grad party, ad I am eating leftovers for te rest of the week form the salads.

      Delete
  3. I count T and E expenses in a totally different category than regular budget items. party fixings are not included in my monthly budget. You did well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But I'm lazy on my tracking as I said to Jane. I like my challenges.

      Delete
  4. Everything sounds so good - how is the gluten free pasta?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd give the pasta a B-/C+, better than I imagined, but it had a strange texture. I had so many other vegetables in it, the weirdness was covered so for the dish overall, a B+.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.