Friday, June 29, 2018

Random Friday Bits-June Nearing It's End

Today is my last work day of the fiscal year. This has been a horribly stressful week as both our external grantees and our internal colleagues we depend on to help close the month are dropping balls left and right. Two days ago I learned out of the blue that my IT Project Managers contract is not being renewed. I'm being given an interim PM, who knows nothing about the program I manage nor the data system that still has one final year of development and enhancements before we can call it complete and in fully functional mode. I had a small altercation with one of my direct reports, a sort of prickly person to begin with, who decided to do a financial transaction her own way, then got frustrated at me because she didn't understand what I was trying to get done. Well, this is why we meet first, I give an over view, we plan, then act. We got it resolved, but it really bothered me, though I know some of the tension was because of the PM situation. Most of my team is off today and I'll be spending the day on loose ends, helping the old PM update and transfer knowledge, an oxy moronic statement at this point, to the new PM. I'll cross my fingers and hope at 12:00 on July 1, the system doesn't fail, because oh yeah, the contract for the developer didn't happen on time and I don't have anyone to fix a major bug. . 

My daughter has had a few nibbles in looking for jobs and  potentially move back to the Twin Cities. She has created a good life for herself where she lives, made a few new friends, and developed a very healthy life style. However, the opportunities for her career and what she wants in her life in the future are very limiting. Fortunately, she is gainfully employed and can take her time and hopefully find the right fit and not just grab for something new. She is in a niche field where those hiring do not often have the full understanding of the skills and expertise needed to do her work well. We'll support whatever she decides to do, but I would be very happy to have her relocate back here.

So how is life in your world? It seems too many of my blogger friends are dealing with extra stress and anxiety. The Stress Free Lunch at work the other day was just a chiropractic pitch, so I was disappointed to just get a free deli wrap lunch, a plastic drinking cup, and not get a few tips for reducing stress on the job. Still, I'll keep trying things to help get to a place of zen. Let's all get the help and support we need, OK folks? Someone told me a funny, but great quote they put up on their kitchen chalk board. This person is a former elementary school teacher that went back to school to get her masters in special education. Then, seeing the challenges that folks, students, with special needs often face, she went back and got a law degree. She is an excellent navigator of the system to support students and their families accessing the least restrictive educational environment. She also battles mental health issues.The quote is something like this, "You are a fierce and powerful woman. You are a Kelly Clarkson song." 

I love James Corden's Car Pool Karaoke, so here's his ride with Kelly, featuring a few of those fierce and powerful songs.

8 comments:

  1. I like car pool karaoke too. Our"driver" is a very charismatic and knowledgeable guy.

    Only when retired, does one realize the truth: we're just going through life, not really living it, mostly because of the work (usually unsuitable) that takes up the greater part of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is hopefully just a temporary rough patch for me in my job. There is a lot of transition this time of year, but every four years we plan for potential major change but truly can not know what to expect. I'm really trying to do my living outside of the office, but my work has intersection with hundreds of thousands of peoples lives, so I do take it quite seriously and the thought of not doing it well is not acceptable. .

      Delete
  2. Wishing you a lot of luck July first. There seems to be a national tendency to let those with knowledge, who cost a little more, go replacing them with a younger unknown. Our culture places little value on wisdom.
    Wishing your daughter much luck finding a great fitting job close to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is a bit different because this was an external contract, not n employee. I have nothing against who they are assigning as PM, but she is out of her depth on this one, at least for a few months until she literally needs to crash course and figure out four years of process before her. The contractor is probably 2X more costly, but I anticipate in the long run, we will not be saving a penny. Thanks for the well wishes for my daughter. I think her time in a smallish community was good for her, but she is ready for wider opportunities.

      Delete
  3. Love that quote, so apt. I am sorry to hear about all the crap at work...I had an old friend who's motto when the s*it hit the fan at work was "Whatever will be will be". It got her through a ton of things - and she literally said it every time she felt stressed :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Que cera cera! I must make the best of the situation at work-no point dwelling, but venting helped me release some of the frustration. It does throw a wrench in my comfort level being out of the country for two weeks, but I can't let it impact my mind set.

      Delete
  4. Do hope your daughter finds the perfect job near you!
    Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Being selfish, it sure would be nice to meet her for coffee whenever it works out and have her join us for family things more often. While three hours isn't that far, round trips take a significant bite out of her time.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.