Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Garden Inspiration-Salsa Verde

This time of year I always start wishing I had a green thumb plus time, energy, and interest in gardening. The bounty of the beautiful produce at the farmers market, roadside stands, and neighbors gardens is a kitchen lovers delight. I know I would get bored though pretty quickly if I had to weed regularly and then pick regularly , not to mention figure out how to preserve the harvest. With no sewing skills to go along with my no gardening skills, I say it is a good thing I was born when I was and not in  older times as my family would be naked and hungry quite often. Lucky me I was born in the latter half of the 20th century with an abundance of  ready to purchase items. Still, I like to eat the fresh stuff, and occasionally, dabble in some new recipe creations, or a little preserving for future use myself. 

I've never really  properly handled let alone done anything with a tomatillo before this year. My daughter was gifted a small bag of them that contained perhaps 7-8 small to medium sized ones. These are those green tomato looking  veg, that have a dried skin like a leave wrapped around them. I knew enough that these are what salsa verde is made from so looked for recipes on line. Her coworker also gave her a bag of peppers that look like this, that we both thought were jalapenos. I think I have determined they are actually a sweet version of pepperoncini.  

She also got seven good sized what we knew for sure were jalapenos, but I set them aside to stuff with cream cheese for next Sunday's football game. Turns out the peppers must have been sweet because the salsa, while green and fresh tasting, was on the sweet side with no heat what so ever. Still, it was good with chis and I can see if being tasty stirred into pasta or other recipes. I didn't can it as it only made two 1/2 pint jars plus a little extra.  I'll look for other recipes to use it up in over the next few weeks, and most likely will pick up some chips and bring one of the jars to work to share.

My make shift recipe from a variety online"
  • 7-9 Tomatillos, washed, tossed in a little olive oil and salt
  • 8 of the peppers, halved and seeded, tossed with the tomatillos
  • Roast under broiler or hot oven until charred, turn over and do same, then let cool down. Juices will release, discard or use in the salsa if you don't mind thinner texture.
  • In a good blade blender or food processor (I used my Ninja) throw in a diced medium sized onion, 2 tps. garlic powder, 2 tsp chili powder, 2 tsp oregano, 2 tsp cumin, 1 tsp ground black pepper, a splash of lemon juice (because I didn't have a lime). Added peppers and tomatillos and blitz. 

That literally was it! My veg was still very warm when I blitzed so I let it cool down more before transferring to jars. Since there was no vinegar and just a bit of citrus juice I am not sure if it would have worked to  hot water bath seal, but I didn't try. The taste reminds me of the green salsa from taco bell, also no heat. It would make a good hot dog or brat relish. DD1 used it to dip warmed naan bread. If you know of any good uses for this kind of a salsa or sauce, let me know. 

12 comments:

  1. No great ideas, but I've been making an easy pico de gallo recipe lately, and we put it on eggs, I like it as a salad "dressing", etc. It's so fresh & flavorful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the freshness of homemade pico as well.

      Delete
  2. I love salsa verde. I use it for enchiladas or enchilada casserole, in place of enchilada sauce.
    FYI, whenever I can anything with tomatoes or tomatillos, unless I am sure of the variety of tomato.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That meant to read *PRESSURE CAN* anything with tomatoes or tomatillos, unless I am sure of the variety of tomato. I also pressure can anything in quart jars, as it's quicker to pressure can quarts than use a hot water bath.

      Delete
    2. I don't have a pressure canner so have only done the boiling water seal. If they don't pop, I just use the contents, but rarely have issues. I will give the salsa a try in recipes-thank you for the suggestions.

      Delete
    3. It's not the sealing, they'll seal alright. It's that some varieties of tomatoes are not high acid, so are unsafe to can using the hot water bath method.

      Delete
  3. Those are Shishito peppers. Toss in EVOO and roast for 20m in the oven! Tasty they are :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OK-I did roast them with the tomatillos and like the flavor a lot. I have more so will try all by themselves.

      Delete
  4. Oops, hit send too early. I like tomatillo soup. Saute diced onion and a few cloves of garlic. Then add diced chicken. Saute till chicken is done. Add to 'salsa'. If you need more fluid add chicken broth. Add chopped cilantro at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We grew tomatillos this year, first time, had know idea how to use them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Meg and Elle just gave us both some new ideas!

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.