Thursday, September 12, 2019

Thrifty Thursday-Slim Pickins

I don't have a lot of thrifty successes this past week. I spent a fair bit with dinner out on Friday and Trivia beers last night. Let's see if I can come up with something though.

  • Returned an Aerie bra for my daughter at American Eagle and had $24 credited back to my credit card account.
  • DD2 loves flannel shirts. While she didn't need much for new clothes, next door to the American Eagle was a Forever 21, where I found a cute red flannel, front tie shirt which rang up even less than the 70% off-$3.60. I'll bring it family weekend.
  • I found two Christmas gifts for my girls on Saturday-spent a whopping $7 total. Retail of items combined before a sale I believe was $28.78. Stocking stuffer price, but probably bigger than their stockings. 
  • A gardening friend brought me a big zucchini at trivia last night. I'm debating making zucchini fries or chocolate zucchini cake or cupcakes. 
  • The thunderstorms caused a restless night for all of us, and I woke up late and exhausted. I didn't have time to brew a pot of coffee, but I got a free coffee with purchase of a breakfast sandwich, which was just $1.07 with tax, off the dollar menu at McDonalds. Not a great breakfast, but I really needed the coffee for the drive. 
We have another spendy week with  choir costs, dinner with my siblings, and veg fest. DD2 and I are planning a creative day on Saturday-then I want a night home with perhaps a Redbox or just movie on Netflix to help keep a lid on the cash cookie jar. How about you? Did you fair better than I did?

4 comments:

  1. My week was spendy because I was at FinCon. The meals went on my business card, so I don't count them out of weekly spending. But I also had taken out $80 for general spending. Spent $42 of that on souvenirs (one for myself, one for the guy doing the petsitting out of the goodness of his heart). Not to mention $27 for the Spy Museum. Worth it but still... Ouch.

    I spent money on drinks at a bar too, so I had to borrow another $20 from Mom (I sent her the money via PayPal) to make sure I had some walking around money/money to tip the bartenders at the FinCon closing party. It's surprising to me how many people don't at least throw a $1 bill in for the free drink. Oh well.

    Then I came home and had to pay for yard work ($60) and a beauty service ($40) on the same day. Ugh. I'm hoping this week will be quieter financially!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I too am amazed at the simple rules of US tipping etiquette people do not follow. I get it-some people hate the tipping culture, but it is what we have in this country. Same for people who carry or hold your bags. Again, yes, the wages shouldn't be poverty, but it is a service you received not being paid for elsewhere. A little pampering for you and the yard isn't an everyday or week expenses, so chalk that up for mental health support.

      Delete
  2. I would just like to be able to not go anywhere for a weekend or two. That would save money.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right. Though thee is a log arm from northern Minnesota calling my check book.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.