Monday, December 2, 2019

Are You Cyber Monday Shopping?

     DH got the bedroom television  unboxed and I set up our streaming accounts. For a cold Sunday evening, I appreciated an early  night in. Not having a television in the bedroom just meant I used a computer, but with the big screen, I might never watch in the family room again. I'll need to be careful that we aren't just spending more time on screen watching and not interacting. I sure was nice watching a couple YouTube videos on a bigger screen though. . 

     I'm on my daughters old laptop for blogging of course. I did a little cyber shopping on Saturday with ides for my niece and nephew, who we drew in the gift exchange. I kept  in the cart to see if there would be any extra saving today. There wasn't so I placed the order. Two more sorted gifts. DD2 gave me an idea when I drove her to her roommates for her ride back to school. All arrived safely and in plenty of time for a meal and their practice. I might have a few more ideas by tonight so will shop a bit more from the comfort of my living room. I can't deny I  like the convenience of being able to browse and compare. I did shop a bit locally this weekend, but sine I'm not buying much in the way of clothes or bric a brac, my options were limited. 

     I have no ides for my mother-in-law who needs nothing, and is of financial means that if she does, she would just go buy herself. For several years my sister-in-law was encouraging her to buy shoes at an expensive, but well sourced and fitted shop, so we all went in on gift cards. She ended up just buying New Balance, because she didn't care for the store brand styles. Well after a few years, SIL stopped suggesting that as she could select from a bigger variety of New Balance anywhere. It was also always only a partial gift too, so we still had to come up with other ideas. If you have ideas for a 79 year old active senior, please share. 

     I don't know if I'll finish my shopping by  the 10th, but that is still my aim. I just like the idea that everything literally and figuratively is wrapped up by Christmas day. I have a busy week, but think I can make progress with on-line help. Will you be cyber shopping this year?

17 comments:

  1. No cyber shopping for me today, unless something pops up that we are really interested in. I'm getting a new ski jacket (mine is almost 20 years old) this year, so we've been watching the prices.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am finished with the gift buying. The youngest kid who is still vocally in Christmas awe really just wants permission to shop with DH for a new guitar. Eldest wants to set aside a day with DH to purchase equipment relevant to his hobby. (He's a master trapshooter.)
    As for your MIL, as my eldest and youngest are demonstrating this year, adding to a hobby is always a good choice...does she garden, quilt, read a certain genre etc?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sh does bible study's and card clubs-no real hobbies. DD1 is taking her (we are going as well) to a dinner theater in January always gets her a gift card to her favorite coffee meet-up spot-Perkins. She is not much of a reader-I'll keep thinking, but I appreciate the help.

      Delete
  3. I don't know if your MIL drinks but mine loved Bailey's Irish Cream!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much-she likes the ice cream drinks but would never make them.

      Delete
  4. All I have left are son in laws. Oh and my Lil sis. But no no big on line presence here.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was given an Amazon gift card and have a few dollars left from another, so most likely I will shop today. Would your mil enjoy one of the services to trace DNA? I know I would.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was given the Ancestry one last year-was very ho hum about it. She is a tough one.

      Delete
  6. We finally resorted to a year's worth of flowers of the month for grandma. She needed nor wanted for anything, loved flowers and the gift had a bonus of reminding her we thought of her throughout the year but was "disposable". I think she also enjoyed seeing the FedEx guy regularly, lol. All the kids went in on the gift since it was a little pricey for the better bouquets but she claimed those were the best kinds of gifts since it didn't add to what she had to dust.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was going to suggest a nice live wreath- my daughter in California (I'm in Florida) sends me one for Easter, Thanksgiving and Christmas. I dispose of them after they 'die' and therefore no clutter. She orders them from a local shop where she lives. I do NOT want any stuff. My son usually sends me a centerpiece and local daughter buys me something practical that she knows I need. My mom liked clothes so she was always easy to buy something for.

      Delete
    2. That could be a really nice idea. She does enjoy flowers and entertains a lot. Nephews are boy scouts so that takes care of the live wreaths each year.

      Delete
  7. Oh, and I did Cyber shop - we recently moved and they broke a ton of stuff so I replaced some of the necessities (crock pot and coffee maker) plus a vacuum. I knew the old one was at the end of it's life so once it was finished at the old house post move out, it was trash. I've made do with the shop vac in the meantime but the dog isn't happy and it doesn't do as good of a job for regular carpet, worked in a pinch until the sales though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My mom can buy herself anything she wants too. One of the things I always get her is a new calendar for the next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My MIL is a bit finicky on things even needed items, so a tough one to buy for. If I could come up with more experiences, that would be helpful.

      Delete
  9. For other MIL's perhaps. Mine would not use those items-the stamps yes. I guess I did give her some stationary for her birthday and she used the blank cards.

    ReplyDelete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.