Monday, March 30, 2020

Exercising for My Spirits

     Arnold Schwarzenegger once said, “Training gives us an outlet for suppressed energies created by stress and thus tones the spirit just as exercise conditions the body.” I would expect something motivating from someone like him to keep your body strong, but I thought this message was bordering on inspirational. I'm a poor example of someone who keeps themselves fit. I have my exercises for my knee and back, dabble in yoga, and walk. I recognize this is not enough, particularly as I now easily could find myself either tethered to the computer, or in front of the television all my waking hours. Perhaps I need to think about this down time as an opportunity to actually train, and not just dabble, in exercising.

     I once was an actual athlete. I played soccer, basketball and softball. I spent hours in the gym, the field, the court, plus time in the fitness room or batting cages, specifically training to be sharper, quicker, have more stamina. Granted, this was 35+ years ago and I was young, strong, and healthy. Maybe now though I have bigger goals to train for; though no longer young, I could be strong and healthy perhaps. I definitely have stress, like Mr. Schwarzenegger mentions, and I sit for long periods of time suppressing the need to be with others, collaborate, discuss, and plan. Just maybe when life resumes to the former pattern, I can be stronger and healthier.

     I dug a couple two pound hand weights out of a closet. Somewhere I know I have resistance bands.I've got three rooms with screens to stream an instructor. I've been off the Intermittent fasting, though I had actually lost some weight, and today am 6 pounds lighter than I was on February 24th, five weeks ago when I did a starting weigh in. Today I'm resuming the IF pattern, and scheduling specifc exercise. I've got at least two more full weeks before being back in the office, maybe longer. Training season begins.

14 comments:

  1. Ooooh, I can't wait to see the pictures. Good for you. Sometimes we need a little external motivation!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never promised pictures-well maybe I should take one, or have my daughter take one in my very classy yoga pants and t-shirt. I doubt much will be different visibly in two weeks, but if I feel a bit more energized and a bit stronger, I'll be happy with that.

      Delete
  2. I like how weight training makes me feel physically competent. Good for you for getting back into it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not so much weight training, but adding a few pounds to help tone a bit. My arms are not strong and need some muscle tone.

      Delete
  3. Good for you! I'm afraid boredom and stress makes me hungrier and sedentary LOL but I have been raking leaves and walking a bit in the house. I was never an athlete and actually dislike exercise but walking is good for my joints. Stay safe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've actually not done too bad with snacking. That was a big worry about working from home. I plan to walk longer and add more strengthen exercises.

      Delete
  4. Awesome work! I'm closing in on getting a workout every day of March. I really need the workouts to keep my mental health going. Things are crazy right now, but that's one thing I can control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walking is the one thing we can still do socially. My daughter is so good about the rules, but I need to see her and I think she needs the company.

      Delete
  5. I confess to, other than my 2 miles walking with the dog each day, not getting any exercise, and it's been that way for a while. I'm in no way an athlete, and never, ever was. I danced, ran, and swam distance, but that's it. My father encouraged these activities because he said we could do them all our lives. Sadly, an injury to my hip has made running impossible--I really miss it. I prefer exercise that allows me to be alone as well, which is why I like swimming and running, (now walking). I don't consider the time I have the dog a workout--more of a chore, since I have to be responsible for him while I am out. When I look at exercise as "me time" it's easy to put on my shoes, grab the car keys, wave to the family and go for a 3 mile hike. Let's encourage each other--I'll let you know my progress. Exercise does do wonders for the outlook!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like a good plan! I need the encouragement. Still not sure I'll take a photo!

      Delete
  6. I did exercise years ago, but now if I get on the floor, I cannot get up! Walking is damaging to my back. Losing weight would help both of those. I tried soup can weights, but my injured hands and wrists don't cooperate. Bands hurt my joints to the point I am further injuring joints. I guess some would say these are excuses.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do the exercises that were developed for my type of knee and back problems so if I do them consistently, and add reps, I should feel relief, not pain. Maybe you need to be prescribed some physicals therapy so you can get the right kind of exercises.

      Delete
  7. Well done Sam. My son needs to exercise to manage his stress. I find a walk very therapeutic. Arilx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have some very pretty places to walk, and it is not only not restricted with safe distancing, encouraged.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.