Saturday, May 14, 2022

Saturday Schmatterings- They Let Me Out

      Our division leadership team was trying to find a date and place for an in person planning meeting. My new boss suggested her Minneapolis home, but worried it might be too far for a couple of us coming from different corner's of the metro. I jokingly said, well they occasionally open the gate and let us out, so I thought it wouldn't be a problem. It was actually a very welcome invitation. 

Every drop of my flat white was enjoyed.

     I got out yesterday too. I hung out at Swede Hollow cafe with my laptop, a strawberry scone, and a perfect flat white. I had tagged along with my daughter and she dropped me off as she had business and came back later. I timed being there when two paramedic units stopped. I'm shamelessly stereotyping, but I found it funny hearing young men in that profession ordering chai tea lattes, cappuccinos, and flat whites. 

These guys deserved their latte's!

     Later we had lunch and just enjoyed the 73° sunny day until the house tour. Another visual gem came up and has an open house tomorrow but we did a drive by and while that house is beautiful, the rest of the neighborhood looked in disrepair, and depressing. Seeing multiple beat up couches in the alley clinched a firm no to even looking. I think I've been a little smug and pretentious with others complaining about the type of housing they fear coming to their neighborhood.  Admittedly, the lack of upkeep, the garbage, and lack of vitality except from a few houses made me sad. We need better quality, affordable housing, and at the same time, need landlords, tenants, and home owners to do their part to keep our communities just that- communities. We had ice tea and coffee to kill some time before meeting her realtor. We couldn't find an indie Coffee shop open so Starbucks it was. It was nice sitting outside.


    I was impressed with her realtor that pointed out every flaw and potential money trap in the house she toured, the one that looked perfect on-line. It was a cute house that is sure to get oohs and ahhs, and someone's going to buy it. Not my daughter. To say there was creative photography with the kitchen would be an understatement. Two people could barely move in it let alone try and cook together. Plus, the smell of a cat was so strong, it would be difficult to get out. There was hard to overlook confusion. There was beautiful landscaping in the front and a lovely back yard with a garden area and fire pit. But also a side retaining wall about to crumble, easily incurring hundreds if not thousands in labor costs to fix. There were beautiful skylight's in a lofted bedroom, but a garage that had crumbling foundation. The 29 year old heating and air unit yelled cha-ching. The shaker siding would need painting every 5-6 years. But, on the good side, she really liked the neighborhood, and the realtor now has a good sense of her absolutes and where she's flexible. 

     I got pup out for a good walk last night. Supper was a conglomeration of leftovers for DH and I nibbled on something before crashing in front of the television and another The Crown episode. When you watch historically based mini series or movie's, do you look up facts to compare from fiction? Who knew (or cares) that Prince Charles sister Anne was once involved with Camilla's first husband Parker Bowles? 

      Because I fell asleep early, I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't fall back to sleep. I caught up on blogs a bit. I read many even if I don't leave comments much on some. To reiterate my post yesterday-people are so different. I try not to get annoyed when  I read opinions put out as if fact, even when it touches me and my preferences and beliefs. But, I need to say this. Oak furniture is beautiful.

     I got texts that the college kid arrived to her hotel safely. That's a relief- thank you all for the well wishes. This weekend is more the same. Basic housework and laundry, purging and organizing. But, I'm going to get some flowers to put in my planters including the new ones. I'm excited to announce the hostas have poked through, and they seem to have expanded shoots so should be fuller this year. Enjoy your weekend.





18 comments:

  1. I think you should keep that realtor since most would not point out anything negative about the house. Tommy's kitchen is ample, but put his walker in there, and it is too tiny. He scares me since he runs over my toes given the chance.

    Let me tell you a secret, I have no idea what wood is which! However, I have good tastes...lol. I always pick wood that is expensive and beautiful, usually beyond my wallet. I grew up with my mother exclaiming over woods and calling their names. But, it all escaped me. I know trees in the ground but not cut up. Some days, I just like the bones.

    What is a flat white?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flat white is an espresso with steamed milk, more heavy in coffee. I hope this guy works well for her. Her friend just bought a house using him.

      Delete
  2. So glad your daughter arrived safely, and I hope she has a wonderful time.
    Sounds like a lovely day. I'm not a coffee drinker, so haven't tried a flat white. Is it mostly milk with a shot of espresso?
    Sounds like your daughter is smart about her house hunting, and I hope the new realtor will be able to find her a good one.
    Hope you have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. A flat whites the opposite, espresso mostly, with the steamed milk. Latte's tend to be more milk. I'm sure she'll have a great time.

      Delete
  3. I think I saw the same comment and agree, oak is beautiful. I have a variety of woods in my furniture - oak, maple, black walnut, cherry, mahogany and even pine and I love all of it.(I do have a very eclectic home) Fingers crossed that your daughter will find what she's looking for. There is always something you can accept as is, because most of us will not find "perfect" but what is "perfect to us". The hostas around here have also started poking through and they get more and more enormous every year. I do like them though, as they don't take much effort for maintenance. I imagine these should be split again but probably won't happen this year. We actually had hummingbirds at the flowers on ours last year. First time since we moved here in 2016. Ranee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've just never read someone calling wood ugly! I personally do t have cherry or mahogany or other woods in my house as not my style for how they hold stain color, but I still find it gorgeous. The hosta's just add that nice green pop by the house. These from my sister in law seem to be winners. I look forward to them big enough to split but I just planted in 2020.

      Delete
    2. Why did you not add that comment to my blog? This sounds like a complaint about my blog or comments.

      Delete
    3. I didn't want to get into a debate about preferances on your blog. I like oak- clearly someone else doesn't, emphatically. My point was just that people are different, and that's just fine.

      Delete
  4. It's sad how so many gorgeous neighborhoods and houses seem to fall apart when the original owners start to leave. We found a gorgeous home in a once well off neighborhood but I was worried how the neighborhood would fare in 10-20 years so we decided against it. Going through there now I'm glad we did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She'll need to be careful in the cities too as things change by decades. I'd like her to find a house near me, but might be difficult.

      Delete
    2. Yes some very up and coming areas in Mpls that wish during the housing slump I’d have helped my daughter buy! Who knew! But she was just out of college (and paid rent for years that was more than the house payment would have been). And then entered the insane housing scramble at crazy costs (and worse now! )

      Delete
  5. When you watch historically based mini series or movie's, do you look up facts to compare from fiction? YES. "The Tudor" made me positively crazy with inaccuracies, particularly in the portrayal of Henry VIII's sister Margaret. Margaret was the sister who married the King of Scotland, and Henry actually despised her. Mary married the King of France (not Portugal) and later Henry Brandon. Did they think viewers were too stupid to differentiate between two Mary Tudors--Mary who was Henry VIII's sister, and Mary, his daughter?
    I have no idea what you are talking about regarding oak furniture, but I share your opinion. Enjoy the rest of you weekend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was just my silly reaction to a blog comment on Parsimony's blog stating a profound disliking of oak because it was ugly. It surprised me since, you may know, I gave pretty much all oak furniture. Another example of how people are so different. I can see historians reeling with loose interpretation that is just fiction at some point.

      Delete
    2. Ack! Mary married CHARLES Brandon, not Henry. (I even fact check my own comments, tee heee.)

      Delete
  6. I am glad your DD2 arrived safely at her destination. As for your DD1's search for a home, I think, finding a place to buy is difficult but, once she finds "the one", she will know. Wishing her the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She will- needs good bones and that seems to be hard. There's a lot of "lipstick on a pig" out there. Our first house was opposite. It truly was a Cinderella house. Ugly, dirty, over grown yard, but elbow grease and paint made it a cute little home.

      Delete
  7. 'I read many even if I don't leave comments much on some.' - am satisfied to know you are reading mine/no need to comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have so darn many issues with word press. I like both reading your posts plus the thoughtful reader comments.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.