Tuesday, September 20, 2022

Positively Tuesday- Order and Calm

      One personal act I need to get more of a habit is meditation, or at least moments each day of absolute calm. No screens, no manufactured sounds, just me in a comfortable place for 10 minutes or so to block out external chaos. I think it will help me minimize the stresses, support better breathing, and help gain perspective. I can think about the ways and causes of smiles this week. I can let my mind wander to visions of beauty. I can really hear the normal sounds of life like a dog barking, a child playing, or the wind blowing. With that, I tried to include snippets beginning Tuesday, everyday this past week. Other things that make the Positively Tuesday cut are below, by day.

Tuesday: Let's say perfect summer. I got up early for coffee, shower, then I logged on early. However, I took a 10 minute walk with pup before meetings. It helped my back, and he got the relief he needed. 

Wednesday: I joined friends for trivia. I'm glad I did because Thursday was a stinker day. I kept to soda as I just wasn't feeling alcohol. We did well first half, tied three way for first, but the dreaded sound round did us in. It's always a fun time.

Thursday: This was the day from... Fortunately, DH could take pup for a walk after he got upset at the Fed Ex delivery instead of barking through my meeting. Not good for us, but he also picked up BK lunch with a Diet Coke for me. Sometimes, a day calls for comfort. 

Friday: I got a call from DD1, that a dog she had shown interest in adopting was potentially available...that night. We got to briefly meet him, but she wanted to get him safely home. She used an old travel kennel from pup, but had to invest in everything immediately, like both a hard crate, gates, and toys. He's so sweet, but a rescue dog, with all the potential past trauma that he may have come with. He's skittish, not sure of new people, cars, and other animals. I know they'll develop a bond, but she's in for a ride in the short run. 

Saturday: I helped my daughter by late morning at her house with the grandpup. She's very overwhelmed, but I kept assuring her it was an adjustment and they'd both acclimate. We practiced a short day crate training and found a new to us beautiful wine bar in the middle of nowhere near her house. I ended up sleeping over to help her establish norms. Bonus, the wine bar is dog friendly. 


Sunday: I came home Sunday morning, with my pup ready for me. My daughter wanted to  do a slightly longer time in the crate and came over. Successes? He has not had a poop accident since first morning when he knew nothing yet. Later he went to door to tell her he needed out. Hardship? He attacked his bed during day crate train. But, he didn't overnight. Other positives was a late call from DD2. It was short as she was exhausted after an afternoon at an amusement park and it being nearly midnight but she's enjoying her first few weeks in Spain. I also chatted with DS about the House of Dragons and the Lord of the Rings prequels.  A kid trifecta!

Monday: DD1 was able to work from home half the day. Grandpup did really well while she was gone. She managed to actually get her work done from home too. He was naughty last night, but what she described was normal puppiness, and testing boundaries. I'm doggy daycare tomorrow and Wednesday afternoon, and will work from her house. I think it was a positive day in her new dog parent world. She's learning there's a sort of adoption remorse/post partum like depression that is real, and much more common than advertised. She's got support and a plan, and following the 3-3-3 rule of adopting a dog. "The 'Rule of Three means that you can gauge the time it might take for your dog to fully acclimate to his home in threes: three days, three weeks, and three months."

     Our pup is work, but he's such a joy to me, I can't imagine what life would have been without, just like the big guy before him. Grandpup is going to fill holes we all didn't know we had. Pup is 11 1/2, and we won't be getting another. Grandpup will fulfill that need for us, but hopefully we won't need him to for many more years. 

12 comments:

  1. Pets are so much family and bring such joy to our lives. Is this the daughter with the new house?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. She probably kept too quickly but we'll make it work.

      Delete
  2. Our middle daughter wants a new puppy so bad. But I think her husband is on the no end.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't not blame him. I'd wait until the kids can really help.

      Delete
  3. Order and calm is what I strive for daily.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Seriously, how can you not be "feeling it for wine"? (Asking for a friend)!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the cutest place! The building was an old country school.

      Delete
  5. You had some pretty nice things happening during the week. A new puppy is exciting, and yes, hard work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He's been terrific, but more work and disruption than she imagined.

      Delete
  6. My vacation time speaks for itself, but on top of that, we did go watch some fireworks Saturday, Sunday I vacuumed and deep cleaned my Jeep and cleaned out my purse, which does such wonders for my well being. On Monday I made plans for lunch next week with my mom squad. Today was a great day at work-shocking, I know! Things are really coming together with the new manager and having her here frees up my time to work on projects, not just run around like a crazy person all day lol. I got some one-on-one time with her today to show her how to do an alarm test, a supply order, what to do when the armored car comes weekly and the October floor set blueprints. I actually enjoy doing all those manager duties but it’s so nice to have someone share the load going forward. I also had a free drink in my Dunkin app :) JoAnn

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Free coffee is a joy! I'm glad the work day was successful. After being on vacation a smooth day wins.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.