Tuesday, December 31, 2019

So What Did 2019 Teach Me?

    
     
     This is my last post of 2019. Technically, 2020 ends the decade, not 2019, but everyone puts importance on the start ending in a 0, so it is the last post of the 20teens. My life in some ways is very different than it was a year ago, and in others, I feel the same-perhaps even stuck a bit. I became an empty nest mom, though have had the birds fly back home now and again to visit. I'm slowly finding new things to keep me amused, and in some ways have resumed a few aspirations that I had before I was a mom. Here are my reflections, or perhaps lessons from the year now behind me.

January

I learned that occasionally I can write an Internet burning post, and get yelled at via the comments in the process. Last January I opened my retirement account and I was transported to 2008 again, you know when the housing bubble was bursting and people were losing their socks in their retirement and investment accounts. In my post, My Retirement Account Made Me Cry, I had over 600 views. Up until that time, I doubt I had 600 views a month! I delete spam of course, but I keep comments that might be negative, as long as they are not hateful or hurtful. I find it interesting though that these comments usually, and with other bloggers, are anonymous. not even a first name or a user name. Maybe 2020 will be my year to crack through the blogger barrier and get over 50 followers. Dare to dream. 

February

Ah, the month the oven broke! DD2 was going to make bread for her boy friend for  Valentines, and no heat to be had. I learned to be resourceful for more than two months, and did without a working oven until we blew a small fortune and replaced all the kitchen appliances. I learned to appreciate the microwave, stove top, and crock pot immensely. It was a good reminder of patience as well. We didn't rush out and spend an equivalent amount to get it fixed, and researched exactly what we wanted for appliances before buying. 

March

My youngest taught me it is OK to give up a long term dream that isn't right for you when she ended up choosing the smaller private school over her dream school, the big university. I guess I should have learned it already after I left the career path I was on, and settled instead of becoming an Executive Director of a non-profit that it was just as fulfilling, and perhaps in the long run, a better fit to be a smaller fish in a big pond that can have a lot of impact. I've stopped applying for positions that 5 -10 years ago I was being recruited to apply for.


April

After the second April in a row where we had record snow storms and many spring plans cancelled, I learned I absolutely, positively, need to retire somewhere with no snow. The novelty of four seasons wears off really fast after five full months of shoveling, scraping windows, and  white knuckle commutes. Now, to decide where? Recommendations are welcome. I don't mind rain, but need sun from time to time. I also don't mind cold-it's the snow that gets old. DH hates the sweltering heat and would want to still have as much of Minnesota late spring, summer, and early fall as possible-you know both months of it.  I serious could see myself in a small village, with transport to big cities, in the UK. I know they get the odd snow fall from time to time, but well, give me your thoughts. (That is not a realistic permanent solution due to rules and such, but we could go for up to six months time.) 

I also started the trivia group, beginning with just a shout out to interested parties, and resulting in a nice healthy group of 8 regulars and spouses and children and other friends that join in form time to time. Adding this to my social calendar has been one of the best time investments I've made recently for myself. 

May

This was the month where the  decision to replace the stove and oven led to a new floor in the kitchen and entry. I also learned I can do a little DIY and salvaged our old freebie farmhouse table by painting the Windsor chairs and table legs black, and the table top brown. Sorry-still no pictures to show. I am inspired though to make what we have last and perhaps just get it all refreshed. As part of my Christmas gift, DD1 is going to help me  clean out and update my office. She even got me this lovely wall hanging for it. 


June

I learned when you raise kids to be individuals and try and support each one being their own version of themselves, they are fully there for each other. My son came home for his youngest sisters party, and both kids helped us tremendously get ready for it. My older daughter was probably as proud as we were at the ceremony. I hope I never compare my kids to each other in terms of aspiration and talent, but that they all have kind hearts. 

July

I learned my older daughter is even more savvy and wise and adventurous than I ever was, and probably ever will be. She took another dream vacation to Iceland with a UK grad school friend, and got royally crapped on by the car rental company after a problem with the car that they blamed on them and charged for ridiculous repair costs. She planned ahead, and while it was stressful until the insurance came through she had the forethought to plan for the worst. She didn't let what could have been a financial disaster ruin her love for travel, and has booked a trip and leaves in just a few weeks for New Zealand. I am proud of all my kids, but this one, my older daughter, continues to be an advocate for mental health, supporting others, as she works daily to be stronger herself. Is it always easy-definitely not, and the dark days come, but she fights through, and keeps looking forward. 

August

We officially became empty nesters this month. And guess what, the world as we know it might have changed, but it still is going round on its axel. I learned to let go, mostly because I didn't have a choice, but it is time. I did my job raising three wonderful kids, now three wonderful adults. August was so focused on getting our youngest ready for college, I had to intentionally slow down and enjoy the remining days with her, despite them being filled with  physicals, orthodontist and dentist, and eye appointments. 

September

I learned I love so many vegan foods! I attended Veg fest with my older daughter who worked it as a volunteer. I got in on lots of free samples while she was working, and later we split some tasty morsels like mac and cheese, butternut squash pizza, and a chocolate donut that was beyond decadent. Doing more plant based, whole food cooking should help manage DH's salt intake, and perhaps my weight issues. Bonus, anytime I get one to one time with any of my kids, it is a win. Other vegan foods tried sine September included my daughters homemade veggie pizza, burrito bowls (though I guess I added cheese), cupcakes with my great niece, and Christmas cookies. 

October

I took a week off in October when my daughter had fall break and discovered I'll Do OK in Retirement. I don't know why I was worried that once I retire, I'll not have enough to keep me busy. Well, quite the contrary. I know I'll be able to stay as busy as I want after not being able to fit nearly as many things into my week as I wanted. I invested time in myself a bit this month too. I attended a Blogger event with my daughter and even signed up to attend one alone in November as she had a conflict. 

November

It was affirmed that November is just going to be a tough month for me. It's not the Birthday Blues alone, but when work travel is coupled with birthday and death anniversaries for my mom and sister, it was a lot emotionally. This was the month I was going through a lot of tests as well, while waiting on results. I added additional life insurance, again, planning for the worst while hoping for the best. It took a scare to realize I was drastically underinsured. Next year we have our trip to Las Vegas to plan, and my daughters holiday concert will be in November. I learned I need to plan fun, something to keep me from getting too low each November.  

December

I had lessons once again that if you don't have your health, it's hard to live a good life Getting through my scare, and for now just having semi regular tests and monitoring was a gift. DH falling down so hard to the flu, and the subsequent lingering fatigue and illness, wiped the relief away. Now,as we enter 2020, well past the middle of our lives, our focus needs to be on quality of our health.

     Looking back over the year, and it seems rather dull and boring. Most of the action happened by other people and I was an observer. I'd like to make 2020 a year where I am the focus of my personal show and on the sidelines. We won't have much spare money, but I have time to invest in experiences. I am hopeful that the little lessons from 2019 are remembered to make 2020 a great start to the decade. 

17 comments:

  1. I looked at different climates; the area of Winchester Virginia was the winner! Not there yet, it's the Shenandoah Valley, look into it sounds like your dream.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will. I like the DC Virginia area, though too hectic for daily living.

      Delete
  2. I didn't know you would be allowed to live in the UK for six months - I thought it would be just a 3-month tourist visa, but I'm prepared to believe I'm wrong. And while parts of the UK are indeed stunning, the constant rain got to me so much that was why I left at 21. But each to his own, and I can see that five months of snow would do anybody's head in. We get snow of course but not five months of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The reverse is true-Visitors who travel to the United States under the Visa Waiver Program (VWP) are allowed to stay in the US for up to 90 days without a visa.Americans can visit the U.K. as a tourist and stay for up to six months, no visa required. To stay longer, you'll need to qualify for a visa. We researched extensively before DD1 went to London for grad school. Of course, who knows what might change. Even if we could go somewhere warm for a few weeks in January, then February to the end of April at least just get out of the snow, I could handle May-New Years because of holidays and such. Of course that would mean double paying for our current home or a down sized hoe here, while renting something temporarily elsewhere as opposed to just a whole retirement move.

      Delete
  3. Re: Your retirement location. I love, Love LOVE the heat and humidity, DH does not. I hate, Hate, HATE the snow and cold, DH can tolerate it. We went from New England, where I was miserable 9 months out of the year, to suburban DFW, where he was miserable in the summers, to the PNW, where we found a compromise with regards to the weather. I think the weather in the Puget Sound is as close to what you would get in the UK--a bit milder, perhaps. There isn't a lot of rain here, contrary to what you might be led to believe, there's just not a lot of sun in the winter/spring. The winters are pretty much the same thing we had in TX, just a heck of a lot longer. (47 degrees and overcast.) Had we come straight here from New England, I would think we were in a paradise in terms of weather here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My minimal visits to Seattle gave me a small taste of PNW, and I liked it. I wonder if the prices would push us out. We'd be looking to stay the same relative costs or perhaps even decrease expenses if we outright move.

      Delete
    2. There are bargains to be had, but you would have to venture a bit further away from Seattle, which means you lose the infrastructure too. I tell anyone who wants to move here that the first thing you need to ask yourself when looking is do you want a water view, acreage, or an HOA...sometimes you get all 3, but it's $$$$$. It's so much easier when you don't need to take into account school districts!

      Delete
  4. I loved your post. I have no good recommendations on retirement locations. We love the Oregon coast for a vacation place, but don't think we could live there permanently for multiple reasons. We love Hawaii, but same as the coast. We are hoping for a less expensive place with similar weather to where we are now... the elusive dream! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Finding the right location will take some research. I've got a few years.

      Delete
  5. Great post, you had a good year my friend. I love the weather in this part of Idaho. It can get very hot, but I love the heat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heat if dry, and by water sounds like a fit. Idaho doesn't generally spring to mind. Interesting thought.

      Delete
  6. You might laugh, but there are places in the South that are livable. I doubt you would be happy in some places. I am not happy in some locations. People retire to my town from the North all the time. Most of them end up as head of non-profits or volunteers. There are many lakes where people retire that are within 50 minutes of excellent medical care and entertainment.

    There is also Nashville. It gets too much snow for my liking, but you might be pleased.

    There are suburbs of many large cities that might suit you weather wise.

    Not everyone in the South is as ignorant as people think...lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I come off as a northern snob at times. You are right that there are places I could never like, but wouldn't say nothing's off the table. I hated the NOLA summer weather. That was stifling.

      Delete
  7. I loved reading this post. I think you had a great year. I hope 2020 brings good health you and your husband! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a fun blog post to read, Sam. Happy New Year to you and your dh. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Belinda. Happy New Year to your family as well.

      Delete

Join the conversation. Your comments are welcome. Dissenting and different opinions are welcome as makes for good conversation. I moderate comments to be sure I read them all and stay ahead of the spam. Advertising products or services without permission will be deleted, as will anything that may be harmful to others-read promotion of debunked "experts" and conspiracies. If you're a blogger, feel free to include your blog URL.